Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Good morning, Angels.

(Good morning, Charlie!)

After you all scattered far and wide, I began kicking around the idea of setting up a blog for the summer. The reasoning behind it is threefold:
  1. Hopefully it will encourage all of you to draw or design your brains out over the summer. You can make your life so much easier for your senior year, especially when it comes to execution.
  2. It might allow me to keep in touch with you over the summer, and might facilitate design-based communication between you over the break, which is arguably most important: these skills certainly fall under the category of "use-it-or-lose-it."
  3. Because it could be a heck of a lot of fun, though the amount of fun will be directly proportional to the level of group participation.
So, as you can see, I've decided to give it a shot: welcome to the Summer Studio. Since I have conceived this as a salon or open forum, I will give posting ability to anyone who wants to participate. I've also included Lee Domingue down in New Orleans and Mary Rosamond here in Saint Louis for a few different perspectives. Post whatever you like, links, articles, but most importantly, your summer work. Which brings us to this:

The Editorial Portrait
As obnoxious as it may be, the ability to create likenesses is important. This doesn't mean you have to be able to paint like C.F. Payne or Anita Kunz. The real challenge is finding a way that you feel comfortable making pictures of recognizable people. People you might find interesting for portraiture include Thomas Fuchs and Mark Ulriksen. This means trying it multiple times and failing until it works. What better to do with failures than post them for your friends to see? Besides, you will do something similar to this early next semester with John, and you'll appreciate the practice then.

A representation that communicates both the physical and psychological aspects of the subject is ideal. Format size is 8" x 10" (standard full-page magazine). Let's say, two weeks and if you people don't blow me off, we'll try something else.

'Deadline': June 3rd.

I hope you all can get into this in some regard. It could really be an enjoyable and productive aspect of your summer. Let me know if you have a blogger account so I can add you to the admin list, and if you don't and you'd like to, make one. If it's any encouragement, if I get some response I'll post my own on June 3rd.

enjoy yourselves,
m

No comments: